Adam and Zhi Yong
Elijah and Kieran
Jonathan, and Wu Shen
Abigail, Aisyah, Catherine and Pranavi
Daniel and Zhi Xiang
Amrit and Alpha
Mohit and Mirza
Samuel and Vivek
Do the following activities in pair or three.
Activity 1 (10 min)
1. Using a rectangular plastic block and ray box, verify what you have learned about refraction.
2. Shine the light ray through the longer side of the rectangular plastic block.
3. Observe the the path of the light ray from the top. and
4. Record down your observation on how the light ray travels as it moves from air to plastic block and as it moves from plastic block to air.
5. Is there an angle of incidence where the light ray does not refract?
6. Support your answer with images.
Your observation should look like:
We observed that when light ray travels from air to the plastic rectangular block, it ............
When the light ray travels from plastic ..........
It is observed that when the angle of incidence is ........, there is no refraction.
Activity 2 (30 min)
1. Using a semi-circular plastic block and ray box, investigate the path of a light ray as it moves from the plastic block to air
2. Place the semi-circular block in the middle of the A3 size Paper Projector with the straight edge aligned to the horizontal ruler.
3. Shine a light ray through the curved surface of the semi-circular block for angle of incidence between 10 to 50 degrees.
4. Observe the path of light ray as it moves from the semi-circular block to the air.
5. Record your observation with respect to both reflected and refracted rays
6. Is there an angle when there is no longer any refraction?
7. Support your answers with images.